There are times that parties may jointly own real property and no longer wish to continue to be in such a relationship as co-owners of the property. Although a family court would have jurisdiction to decide these issues in a family court, if the parties are not married, the matter would be heard in civil court. The process is called partition.

If agreement cannot be reached and a case must be filed between owners, a lawsuit is filed for partition. In a partition action, the court will normally order the property sold and the proceeds divided in proportion to the respective ownership by the joint owners (sometimes vested as tenants in common).

There are many ways to obtain assistance through this process. There are self-help clinics, non-profit organizations, private attorneys, tax-payer based family law services, mental health professionals, mediators, arbitrators, parenting coaches, accountants, friends, family, internet resources, books, periodicals, State Bar of California resources, document preparers, school officials, and law enforcement agencies.

We are private attorneys and we are a boutique family law and litigation firm in Sherman Oaks, California serving clients from border to border. We appear both in state and federal courts. We are appear in both trial courts and appellate courts. Should you wish our assistance, please call us. We would be honored to help you.